Wednesday 23 June 2010

As the song goes...

... "It started with a kiss...", though I doubt Hot Chocolate had Wimbledon in mind back in 1982 when they wrote those words. Fast forward twenty eight years and I can assure you that Hot Chocolate were the last thing on my mind as I stood looking down onto Court 18 during a swift tour of the grounds whilst on a break. I took a few shots of Querrey and Stakhovsky as they warmed up, and was pleased to capture the kiss of the ball as it whacked into the fabric screen at the end of the court.


















It was a scorching day, and time was short, so I didn't have long enough to do a comprehensive sweep of the venue. Instead I did a loop that runs alongside the Broadcast Centre, up the steps by Aorangi Park, through the hordes queueing for used tickets, a few moments to take in the action on Court 18, and then cutting a diagonal across the roof of the Broadcast Centre to sneak a peek at the game on Court 14. The sun blazed down, affording shadows and tricky exposures. Extreme contrasts between light and dark, something that the pro photographers often exploit when they are here. I didn't have the position or chance to do that.

Today may well be even warmer, and no doubt it will be as busy as ever for us down here in the bunker. Teething problems have been ironed out, we have settled into the Wimbledon rhythm, and despite the mind-numbing tiredness I for one am thoroughly enjoying being here. Hopefully I can get out and about later on and improve the photo count on the blog.

Right now though I need to go and find out which photographers have been assigned to which courts... more, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment