Monday 28 June 2010

Sunday, a day...

... of rest. It's been a long week. Everyone in the team is tired. I had scant chance to post yesterday as the flow of photos to prepare for the writers to add to their articles was a steady one, and the 'free' time I was generously afforded me by my colleague Rob was spent taking more photos...

On Friday I took a walk to the Broadcast Centre roof, the long way round, out from the entrance to the Press Building, along past Court 14, then between 18 and 19, up the steps through hordes of thirsty fans waiting to refill their water bottles from a tap that sits almost hidden by bright green ivy. The spillage runs down the sloped walkway, petering out after twenty feet or so, wetting the sole of every passing shoe. I wondered how long before those dark footsteps would be evaporated by the beating sun. The hill was crammed with fans, floppy hats, umbrellas, and towels employed to prevent dessication in the heat. The camera equipment was heavy, and getting heavier by the minute.

Up top, walking alongside the queue for the Ticket Resale point I was struck by the number of people in it, their dedication rendering them willing to move a few steps and sit back down, move a few more, sit back down, just to get a seat on Centre or No.1. Then I am walking the rail above Court 18, not bothering to seek a vantage point there as it is very busy. Instead I passed through the gate that stands between fans and people working at the event, and onto the roof where I plotted up at the end of the Court, almost in line with the middle.

I took a fair few photos of the match between Jarmila Groth, an Australian player, and Kerber from Germany. The Australian contingent in the stands (which from what I could tell numbered 4) were very vocal in their support, and it rose to a peak when she won the match. Here are some of the images I captured...






























No comments:

Post a Comment